Social Action at Congregation Shir Ami
The work of tikkun olam, repairing the world, is at the heart of the Shir Ami community. Our members get involved in social justice efforts in many different ways, from b-mitzvah community service projects, to showing up when the LGBTQ community is being targeted, to sorting donations at local Food banks, to organizing around the climate crisis.
Our Dayenu Climate Action Circle meets monthly to coordinate our climate activism under the guidance of Dayenu: A Jewish Call to Climate Action and the Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism (RAC) Climate Tzedek campaign. Everyone is welcome to join us in this hopeful project—just check the Calendar for our next Dayenu Circle meeting or email Dayenu@CongShirAmi.org.
Our Social Action Committee takes up projects based on the interests and initiative of our members. Current and recent examples include:
- Founding and active members of the Eden Area Interfaith Council
- Members of the South Hayward Parish Advisory Council
- Annual work day at the Alameda County Food Bank
- High Holiday Food Drive benefiting the food pantries at Eden Church and South Hayward Parish
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day observance in January
- Castro Valley Pride festival in July
- Families of color affinity group
- Weekly knitting circle making items for shelters and hospitals
- Rapid response to action alerts from social justice partners throughout our region
For more information, contact SocialAction@CongShirAmi.org.